Triple J Auto on Tech Talk 4/25/2019
Adam Butcher and Patti Arroyo are back! On the latest episode of Tech Talk, our two friends continue to tackle the real issues head-on, taking and answering common maintenance and vehicle questions on-air.
What is the Average Life of a New Car Warranty?
Before the first caller chimes in, Patti asks: What’s the average life of a new car warranty?
- Adam tells us that most new cars receive a 3-year/36,000-mile basic “bumper-to-bumper” warranty.
- Most new vehicles also come with a longer Powertrain warranty, which covers big, expensive components like the engine and the transmission.
- A bumper-to-bumper warranty will cover most components. However, parts that were not produced by your vehicle’s manufacturer — like your tires, for example — will not be included.
Why Won’t My 2010 Pathfinder Won’t Shift Into Reverse?
Ben, the first caller, has a problem with his 2010 Pathfinder: it won’t shift into reverse unless he turns it on and off!
- Adam says that the most likely explanation is a problem with the electrical system.
- There could also be an issue with the shifter or the cable that controls it. However, he thinks that the problem with this vehicle probably lies elsewhere.
How Do I Get a Replacement Key for a 2015 Kia Soul?
Eddie joins our hosts to ask about the replacement key for his 2015 Kia Soul.
- Since it’s covered under the warranty, Eddie had received a 1-800 number that he could call to secure the replacement. However, he gets a machine answer every time he calls!
- Adam says that they’ve had this problem in the past, but he offers to help Eddie to take care of the problem.
- When Eddie next calls or visits Triple J Guam, someone on our team will get the claim started and follow up directly so Eddie can worry about more important things.
How Does Water Affect New Smart Keys for Cars?
Between calls, Patti asks Adam a question about the new smart keys available with a wide variety of new makes and models.
- Patti has been impressed with her smart key, but she’s concerned because she recently jumped into a pool with the small device on her person!
- She wonders: Will the smart key die if it gets wet? Can it be saved by drying out in rice, like a smartphone?
- Adam lets her know that many smart keys are sealed to prevent water damage, but he doesn’t think that they’re protected against complete submersion.
- Since the technology in these smart keys is so similar to that found in your smartphone, he thinks that letting it dry out in a bag of rice really could help to save it!
Can Idling Damage Your Vehicle?
Next, Annie calls in to ask a question about idling in her vehicle.
- She regularly picks her grandkids up in her vehicle, but she wonders if she can let the car run while she waits for them to get outside.
- Adam says that it’s very unlikely for a vehicle to be damaged as a result of idling. He mentions that he’s even taken naps inside his vehicle in the past!
- Since the collecting fumes can be dangerous, it’s only ok to let your car idle for extended periods if you’re in an open area, rather than in a closed environment like a garage.
- Although it’s unlikely to damage your engine, letting the car run will waste gas. Still, it might be worth it if you want to enjoy AC while you wait!
Secure Auto Service on Guam at Triple J Guam!
If you’re located near Guam or Palau, you can receive all of the necessary maintenance that you require at the Triple J Guam service center! We always offer a fair price on oil changes, and when you take advantage of our upcoming service specials, it’s easy to save even more.
Next time we’re on Tech Talk, call 477-5757 to get your answers from Patti and Adam! If you have a question that just can’t wait, contact us or schedule service, today. Stay tuned for updates from the next segment!
More Tech Talk Service Tips from Triple J Guam
Adam Butcher and Patti Arroyo are back! On the latest episode of Tech Talk, our two friends continue to tackle the real issues head-on, taking and answering common maintenance and vehicle questions on-air. What is the Average Life of a New Car Warranty? Before the first caller chimes in, Patti asks: What’s the average life…
Topics: Tips, AC, wiper blades, oil change, LED lights
Topics: Vibrations in Idle, Apps for Repairs, Check Engine Light.